Wednesday, June 30, 2021

6/27 - 30, REV Group (aka Fleetwood) Customer Service Center, Decatur IN

I have had some issues with my motorhome over the past several months that I felt could not be fixed by an ordinary Fleetwood dealer.  So, knowing I would be headed back to Michigan and Ohio, I made a reservation at the Fleetwood Customer Service Center I had gone to several years ago when the dealer I bought my rig from refused to fix several warranty issues.  I had had a very good experience there, and I knew that because it was close to the factory that they would have parts.  (REV is the name of the group that purchased Fleetwood and several other RV manufacturers several years ago.)

Since then, they had paved their RV parking lot and built a new customer center, which was very nice.  

If you are not an RV owner, you probably don't know that most larger repair facilities have places for customers to park overnight and hook up to electricity, as well as get water and have the use of a dump station.  The reason for this is that many of us live in our RVs and sometimes have to wait days and weeks for parts to come in, so having a sort of RV park is very handy.   And in the case of REV's facilities in Decatur and in Coburg, OR, you have to be in the office ready to register and meet your mechanic at 6:00 am in Decatur and 7:30 am in Coburg, so this means you really have to be on site the night before!!  They also allow you to stay the night after repairs have been completed.  And the people who have body work done, sometimes stay an extra couple of days because driving their unit would damage the new paint.

I had a long list of items needing to be fixed:

  • Replacement patio awning and replacement slide topper awnings.  My big awning had torn a few months ago, and the two slide toppers are badly frayed.  After 9 years of being in the sun and weather, they all really needed replacing. Unfortunately, these did not come in on time, so I have to come back in late July when they arrive.
  • Fixing tail lights and the upper running lights required on larger vehicles.  Mine have not worked since last summer so I have not been able to drive at night.  I have had the supposedly "fixed" three times, but each time the fix lasts only an hour or so.  Decided since Fleetwood installed them, they could fix them. 
  • The part of the fiberglass coach that goes over the front cab that was provided by Ford has become loose from the metal cab.  It squeaks horribly and leaks when you spray water there.  I was pretty sure I knew what was needed, but this chassis work is not something many dealers want to deal with, hence best to get it done at the factory service center.  
  • Several small things, such as a defective GFI plug in the bathroom, missing bulb in stove cover, and an oil change.  
(I also need a new couch because the vinyl is falling apart, and I have looked at Camping World and other dealers out west, but knew these are easier to find in Indiana because so many RVs are made there.  Unfortunately, REV does not carry anything that will fit, but they did give me the name of one customer furniture manufacturer.) 

This is the new customer center in Decatur, IN.  I arrived here on Sunday afternoon, found a place to park and hook up, and got to bed early because I knew I had to be up and have my slides in and be unhooked by 6 am on Monday morning when the mechanics would come to get my vehicle.

 

This is the view of the RV lot from the second floor.  Note that all of the RVs were very expensive Class A buses.  Mine was the only Class C in the lot because they don't really advertise this service center to Class C owners! 

 

This is the center walkway with all the electric hookups.  By the way, any RV in this lot during the day means that they are waiting for parts or for paint to dry--literally.  A few people do leave their vehicles while waiting for parts, but most much prefer to stay in their very comfortable homes on wheels than go to a hotel or drive their cars to a distant home.  


Another view of the RV parking lot. 
 
Here is my "little" rig alongside the big expensive rigs!  Makes one feel like a poor relative. 
 
 
 
I forgot to take a photo of the two big customer lounges, but one is on the second floor and has several big TVs and some computer areas, along with a refrigerator and microwave, and is dog-free.  The lounge on the first floor has similar furniture but allows dogs and other pets.  

One really nice perk that I have not seen in other service centers, but is much appreciated, is a small, free laundromat.  I did three loads of laundry here.  Much nicer than most campground laundromats and very handy. 

 

My repairs were done on Tuesday afternoon, but I spent the night here because, frankly, I had no reservations anywhere else since I had not know how long all these things would take.  When I left on Wednesday morning, I stopped by the furniture place and ordered a new mattress, and also learned they could not supply a couch that would fit in my unit.  Will probably have to just get this one re-upholstered.  

Anyway, I have a reservation for Maumee Bay State Park for Thursday, but that left tonight, Wednesday, open.  Did you know that the Ohio Turnpike has overnight RV parking with electrical hookups in half of their service centers?  They are very convenient if you need a place to stay at the last minute and are on your way on the turnpike.  I have used them before and found them safe and fairly quiet places to stay.  Cost is $20 but you are only allowed to stay one night.

So, here I am tonight.  Nice because there are fast food restaurants in the service centers.

Nice to have company in this RV lot on the turnpike tonight!  I am all plugged in with my satellite TV on and AC when needed.  There is a potable water faucet, so I also added some water to my tank before parking, and I can use the dump station in the morning when I leave.

In the meantime, I have a good view of an Ohio cornfield!! 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. We spent many years visiting the Decatur repair shops and once a week they would feed all the customers and staff brats and fixin's, provided by Manley Meats. So good, we made a point to visit Manley which was located in the middle of a cornfield and load up on goodies to take with us. Made for a happier mood after so many Rv hassles!

    ReplyDelete