Thursday, June 10, 2021

6/8 Drive to Colorado & Heaton Bay Campground, Frisco, CO

This was one of the prettiest drive I have taken lately.  Started in Fruita, CO, at about 5,500' and ended at Heaton Bay Campground at 9,200' so it was almost all uphill. 

Frisco, CO, is a small town on the west end of the Dillon Reservoir.  If you head south, you will find Breckenridge and if you head across the lake to the east, you will find Silverthorne.  This is obviously ski country, but it is packed in the summer, also.  Denver is about 70 miles east along I-70 and traveling through the big Eisenhower Memorial tunnel.

Here are some photos of the drive, nearly all of which was along the Colorado River. 

Hard to see, but the sign says "Welcome to Vail."  You can tell by the snow how high we are.

Almost to Frisco!!


Nasty-looking clouds, but they have had some much-needed water lately. 


Gorgeous! 


Finally made it to Frisco.  Campground is nearby.

This is a forest service campground and someplace I have been before. 

View from my campsite!






Now, I am off to get my bike out and go for a ride along the paved bike path that goes through the campground.  It goes all the way around the Dillon Reservoir, which is about 18 miles, but I will just take it to Frisco, which is about 3-4 miles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment