Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Rest of May -- Bluewater Lake SP and Homolovi SP near Winslow, AZ

 I'll combine these next two campground postings:

Bluewater Lake:  April 30 - May 7

This state park is a long way from anything, literally.  Good thing I got groceries before I came here because the nearest grocery store was 25 miles away.  However, it was a nice place and very peaceful.  

However, it was also cold here, and we got snow one day.  One reason is that the campground is at over 7,500'.   I had a lot of work to do, so I did not do much walking around, but I met some nice people. 

 

  

This was a much nicer day, but since we were at 7,500' in elevation, it was cool even during the day and downright cold at night!  Glad I have a good furnace and two electric heaters. 

 

Campsites here were very spread out and private. 


This area is near several Indian reservations, and typically horses and livestock run free in such places.  So, I was not too surprised one morning when I woke up to horses in my campsite.  I doubt if they were wild horses because they seemed pretty tame.



Personally, I like living out in the middle of nowhere. 




Homolovi State Park:  May 8 - May 13

This is becoming one of my favorite state parks in Arizona, mainly because they have repaved the originally very rough entrance roads and have also repaved and enlarged the campsites.  It is not far from Winslow, AZ, which has several chain grocery stores and a bunch of fast food restaurants.  I hated to leave here and think I could comfortably spend a couple of weeks here. 

Also, this campground is at about 5,000 feet elevation and is high desert grasslands.  Unlike most deserts, there are not many cactus plants, but it is dry and there is grass that supports a lot of animals.  Also, this is a very historic place because of the ruins of several cities where thousands of ancient peoples lived.  They chose this place because it had the Little Colorado River flowing through it and was a good place to grow crops.  Plus, the grasslands supported herds of deer and other plains animals for hunting.  I have posted about this place before, but the important thing to know is that almost everywhere you walk, you will find pottery shards.  

Driving to the state park.  Love the lack of traffic, even though you are only a couple of miles from an interstate highway!!


 
This is the newly repaved entrance to the campground.  

 

Nice, big campsites with new asphalt!   I could have parked two motorhomes in this space.

 

I saw a lady with a huge camera taking photos, so I took some also.  Was not sure if these were horses or donkeys, but determined they were wild burros when I put the photos on my laptop. 



Another campground with lots of space between sites.  I also really like campgrounds with long views.



Next stop is California!  But love the drive through Nevada!



No comments:

Post a Comment