Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4/17 Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

This morning, I packed up and unhooked to do some exploring.  (This only takes maybe five minutes, but I have a lot of stuff I have to do inside, like putting the TVs away and making sure all drawers and everything are secure.)  I headed out to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.  I knew it would not be open until Friday for climbing, but I wanted to get some information from the ranger station and take some photos in case it was cloudy and drizzly on Friday.

Here is my campsite.  As you can see, I am the only RV around.

The whole cape is filled with houses that look like this.  Most are three or four stories tall and  a lot are built on stilts, I assume because of hurricanes.
 

 
 There are almost no trees around here, either.  Here are some photos of the lighthouse:



You may recognize this lighthouse from the documentary about how they moved it about half a mile from its original place that was too close to the eroding beach.  This was in 1999, and you can still see the level path they took in this photo taken at the original foundation.  The foundation was left as a monument, but unfortunately, it is now covered with sand.  Must have pretty neat to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment