Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4/15 Drive to Cape Hatteras

Rather than taking two separate ferries, one requiring a reservation, I decided to do a much longer drive to get to the Cape, coming in from the north end.  I was unhooked and out of the campground by 7:45 a.m.  I stopped for a propane refill, gas fillup, and groceries, and on my way to drive 380 miles, which is almost double what I usually like to drive in one day.

It turned out to be a rainy and windy day.  There were four long bridges I had to go over to get to the main cape, and you could see the white capped waves from each.  Bit scary.  Don't remember which one this was, but it felt like I was driving into nowhere.  Luckily there was almost no traffic.



Even when I got onto the Cape itself just north of Nags Head, it was a two hour drive to get to my campground, so I did not linger as I will be coming this way when I head back north.  They were a little surprised to see me at the commercial campground as it was technically closed because they were working on the restrooms.  However, I had a paid reservation.  The lady who took my money on the reservation line said she had checked with the owners and it was OK since I was self-contained and did not need to use the facilities.  I told her I would be happy as long as I had electric and a place to fill my water tanks.  Nice and quiet here, at least!!

No comments:

Post a Comment