Wednesday, March 16, 2016

3/15 Ajo & Organ Pipe National Monument

Ajo is a very small town about 30 miles north of the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Visitor Center and campground.  I had never been here, so this was next on my list of places to go.  Unfortunately, this has been a warmer than usual winter, so it was going to be HOT, and the campground has no electric hookups, and very limited generator hours, so no AC. 

The other problem with this national monument is that the scenic drive roads are all gravel and except for one stretch of one drive, they are limited to vehicles less than 22 feet long, which eliminates me.  The nice thing is that they DO offer van tours each morning, so I signed up for one on Wednesday and one on Thursday.

I could have stayed in Gila Bend or Ajo, but that would have meant a long drive in each day to make it to the tours which leave at 9:00 a.m.  So, I will have to make do somehow and hope it cools off in the evenings.  I know the outside air will be cool, but it takes a lot to get my "tin can" cool once it heats up.  

Ajo (pronounced "ah-ho") is a very pretty little town.  It was a very wealthy town at one point because it has/had the world's biggest open pit copper mine in the world!   



It took a while, but I finally found the post office so I could mail my son's birthday present.  Wish I had more time to wander around the town and some of the shops.


This is just one of the mountains of copper mine tailings.  There is supposed to be a visitor center, but I apparently drove past it.

Pretty drive to Organ Pipe National Monument. 






Nice paved campsites and lots of space and desert plants between RVs.  Just wish they had electric power so I could run my AC.  Temperature today was 84 and supposed to get to 88 tomorrow!  One problem with this campground is that it is only about four miles to the Mexican border, so there are lots of signs warning you to report suspicious activity. 


And finally, a photo of an organ pipe cactus.

Tomorrow I have to be up and ready for the 9:00 a.m. tour to Quitobaquito, which is an oasis in the desert, right on the border. 

No comments:

Post a Comment