Friday, August 14, 2015

8/12 Burlington, VT

I visited Burlington very briefly about 20 years ago as part of a business meeting/training session, so I looked forward to coming here again.  I stayed at a city-owned campground, right on the edge of the city because I wanted to use the bike trail that goes around the lake.  Unfortunately, a rainy three days made that a little difficult, but it turned out to be a relaxing few days, and I got some work done and an important maintenance errand run.

Here is the bike path to downtown.  Note that the city is right on Lake Champlain.  In better weather, I might have even taken a boat ride, but not this time.  Kind of a grey lake below. 

Most of the bike path was in good condition, but closer to town it was full of gravel and I had to get off and walk occasionally.  City needs to repave portions.  It also goes the other direction and past the city, but I just did not have the weather to want to ride those sections.


Getting closer to downtown.


Market Street is blocked off in downtown Burlington for about 5 blocks.  Lots of shops, restaurants, and entertainers.


At least during the summer, things seem to be very busy in this area and businesses are doing well.

This very New-England-looking church was at the very north end of Market Street. 

The next three photos are of the Ben and Jerry's factory about 25 miles east of Burlington.  I stopped here on my drive on the way to New Hampshire.



No factory-second ice cream bargains, unfortunately.  In fact, they charge you for a very short tour of the factory where you can see the operation from a small glassed-in room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment