Saturday, August 3, 2013

7/30 Buffalo Bill State Park & Dam

Mostly, I prefer to stay at state or national parks because there is usually something to see and the campsites are more spread out, so you have more privacy and space.  Most commercial campgrounds pack campers in very tightly, and because they are operated for profit, they often skimp on things like asphalt roads and pads, so dust is a problem.  If they allow outdoor bonfires, smoke also can be a problem, as can noise and music.  The trade-off is that almost all commercial campgrounds offer full-hookups (electric, water, and sewer), while state and national parks are less likely to provide even electric service. 

However, I have been at a few state parks that disappointed me, mostly because they are dusty and do not control their campers, especially on weekends when families come. The last state park was a disappointment because of the dusty roads and the fact that the about the only thing to do there was fishing and boating. Not much of a view because of the way the campsites were situated.
Buffalo Bill State Park, on the other hand, is a place I would be happy to return to.  There were asphalt roads and pads, and nearly every site had a terrific view of the lake/reservoir and the mountains in the distance. Only a few sites had electric and water, but I had reserved far enough in advance to get one of those. While there was not much to do in the campground, Cody, Wyoming, was just down the road, and there was a visitor center at the dam.  Personally, scenery beats activities any time, especially since I spend a lot of time in my RV working.




Here are some photos from the dam.  Best thing was that it was easy to get into and out of the parking lot, and they had several spots for parking big vehicles.  Also, they drove you to the visitor center in a golf cart!






I had forgotten that we drove to Yellowstone way back in 1976, and while I remembered visiting Cody on that trip, I had forgotten stopping at the dam.  Here is a photo of me and my two sons, ages 2 and 5, on this very same dam, with the old signage. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment