Monday, June 24, 2013

6/24 Colorado Springs to Lakeview Campground

I left early this morning, after making sure my waste tanks were empty and my fresh water tank was full.  I stopped in Canon City at a Walmart for groceries because I knew that there was nothing within 40 miles of where I was headed--Lakeview Campground along Taylor Reservoir in the Gunnison National Forest.

For quite a while, U.S. 50 went along the fast-moving Arkansas river. I kept seeing signs about watching out for smoke and poor visibility, but everything was clear, so the fires must be under control.  Wish there had been a place to pull over.  Unfortunately, most pullovers are made for cars and my motorhome just does not fit!



As I drove the mountains got more rocky and the road higher, heading for Monarch pass.  There was a gift shop at the top and a gondola ride to the top of the mountain at 12,000 feet.  Windy and cold up there but incredible views.

 


Views from the top:






I took quite a few photos of alpine flowers, but I have to identify them before I post them.

Onward through Gunnison to Taylor Reservoir.  The road went through a very pretty green valley to the town of Almont, and then on a dirt detour. 


The dirt detour was really in pretty good condition.


And finally the campground.

No comments:

Post a Comment