Saturday, July 8, 2017

7/7 RIdgway State Park & Ouray

It has been a quiet and relaxing week that I have been here, in spite of the July 4th holiday.  This campground is above a reservoir at 7,150 feet, but it is near some very high snow-capped mountains, which you can see in the distance.  I have been using this time to keep up with my online class and to get some reading done. It was relatively cool when I arrived here, but it has been hot the last few days, making me want to stay indoors.  

The campsites are spread apart and very nice with electric hookups, which I really need in hot weather.  (Hot to me is anything higher than 80 degrees.  It has been in the upper 80s into the low 90s here, which is a lot better than the rest of the Southwest, but still HOT, as far as I am concerned.)  There are two campground here, but this one is on a high ridge.  The other one is nearer the highway and flatter with fewer trees.  The road up here is a little steep.   






I finally got up enough energy to drive into Ouray today and do some walking around.  Ouray is in Southwestern Colorado, surrounded by the San Juan Mountains.  Ouray is about a thousand feet higher than the state park, and tucked into a canyon.  If you followed the road north, past Ouray, you would drive on a very high road and arrive in Silverton, where the famous trains arrive each day.  



Can you imagine living in this area?  I always said I wanted to retire somewhere with a view.  


Ouray is only about 10 miles down the road.  I found this parking spot at the end of town.  A little on an angle, but OK. 

Just some views of town. 



I liked this sign on a building. 



Did not buy anything in town except a chocolate croissant and a fountain coke with lots of ice.  If I had had kids with me, I am sure they would have wanted to stop at this hot spring pool. 







No comments:

Post a Comment