Tuesday, June 14, 2016

6/3 Navajo Dam State Park, NM

Sorry that I have gotten so far behind on this blog.  I had to fly out to Georgia to help an aunt and uncle, plus it is end of the semester, and I am swamped with papers to grade, so the blog slipped.  I am going to try to catch up today. 


Navajo Dam State Park is a location where I probably won't go back to. First, I chose the wrong campground.  Instead of one of the ones on the bluff overlooking the lake, I somehow chose the one on the other side of the dam in a valley on a bend of the river.  I had expected a scenic spot, but got one with almost no view at all.  Second, it was two-miles down a dirt road--a very bumpy dirt road.  There was no other way in or out.  And there was almost no cell service for my internet. 


As I drive through this part of northern New Mexico, I am surprised by the variety of the scenery.  There are high snow-capped mountains that make you think of Colorado.  Other areas are green, fertile valleys.



This looks a lot like many parts of Colorado.  Note how green it is this time of year. 

Then, you come upon high plateau that is scrubby and dry. 



There seems to be a lot of gas and oil production in this area.  I think the stuff below is a gas well. 


 Here is one on the other side of the road.

Not the prettiest campground.  Scrubby and dry with a few trees.  It might make people who like a little shade happy, but I like to be up high where I have a far view.  I tried walking through this stuff to the river, which was only a couple of hundred feet away, but I gave up.

I found an actual path to the San Juan river at the far end of the campground.  Looks like a good place for fishing.



 
I might try this state park next year when I come back this way, but I will definitely choose the campground on the bluff that overlooks the river. 

No comments:

Post a Comment