Tuesday, December 25, 2012

12/23 Marie Selby Botanical Gardens - Sarasota FL

After my beach walk, I headed here.  This is highlighted as a top attaction to Sarasota, and I really enjoyed my two hours here.  Parking is tight, but I was able to park in the bus parking area, which was adequate, although I had to back out instead of making the tight turn at the end of the parking lot.  (I did check to make sure it was OK for me to park there, as I always do, although someone would have a rough time towing my motorhome away!)

According to the website, the mission of the gardens are as follows:  "Seven greenhouses are the heart of the botanical research and plant identification programs for which Selby Gardens is recognized around the world. The Gardens’ mission is to provide an oasis of inspiration and tranquility, while furthering the understanding and appreciation of plants, especially epiphytes. Selby Gardens is perhaps best known for its living collection of more than 6,000 orchids, but it is also an established authority on other epiphytes including bromeliads, gesneriads, and other plants."

Obviously, I did not take photos of all of the orchids, but here are a few:

This one was in the orchid area, but it sure looks strange:

Here are some of the interesting carnivorous plants in the greenhouse:

And some of the views of the outside gardens:

And here is a very beautifully landscaped fish pond, right after a gentleman had to fish his camera out from among the fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment