Friday, July 3, 2015

7/3 Huntsville, Ontario

Not much happening in my life right now.  I slept in this morning and decided today would be a do-nothing day.  Or at least do nothing but read, watch TV, and surf the internet with the free WiFi I have in this very dull campground.  One secret to my life is that I do not travel every day or even do much of anything every day.  (Think of a rainy weekend day with no chores that need doing.) 

The best part of living in a motorhome full-time is that you do not have to be in a hurry to get somewhere or see something.  Life is a lot more leisurely for me than it is for vacationers because I can spend more time--for example, most people spend maybe three days in Yellowstone because they have to get to Glacier National Park.  I spent three weeks in Yellowstone in 2013 and then spent more than a week in Glacier.  Nice!! 

I took a drive yesterday to Burk's Falls, Ontario, to try to find more about my grandparents and great-grandparents, but not much luck at the local library. This county apparently does not have a big heritage center as Grey and Bruce county do, or at least I cannot find them. 

I was able to drive to the cemetery where my great-grandparents are buried, but there are only grave markers for a couple of them.  Later, using a skewed map given to me at the library and some census information, I was able to find the property my paternal great-grandfather lived on, but need to go back and try to find it via road.

Got bit by a lot of huge horseflies yesterday and have been applying the prescription ointment given to me by my doctor last month.  I seem to be reacting a lot more severely to bites than ever before, so I am hoping this stuff works better than the multiple kinds of over-the-counter stuff I tried in Florida.  I have a large welt on my scalp, so I may end up wearing one of my head mosquito nets if I have to go outside in the woods again.

Tomorrow, I head to a small museum and a cell phone store to see if I can get pre-paid cell service for my old I-phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment