Tuesday, August 30, 2022

8/22 Bryce Canyon with Friends

Last trip here, I stayed in the no-hookup national park campground, but it was very hard to get a site big enough and level enough for my rig.  So this trip, I splurged and got reservations for four nights at the nearby Ruby's RV park.  The shuttle is very close, and I was able to enjoy full hookups and a very clean laundromat to catch up on the three loads of laundry I have been carting around.  

First, thanks to my friend, Beth, who is another full-timer, for picking me up and bringing along her friend, Ginger.  I really don't mind sightseeing alone, but it is a lot more fun to do it with friends because you get more perceptions.  Also, I did not realize before that there are places on the main road through Bryce Canyon that you can see only if you have a car--some places are off-limit to RVs because of the lack of parking.   

Be prepared for a long post because I took a lot of photos!!!  They are mostly in order from the entrance to the far end of the road.  And because it was a beautiful sunny day, the photos turned out very nicely. 

For example, look at the brilliant blue of the sky, the yellow and orange of the rock, and the green of the trees!!  (Being at about 8,000' also makes the sky bluer.)

I would have loved to hike down into the numerous valleys at Bryce, assuming of course, I was about 30 years younger and in a lot better shape!!




The elevation at the start of the drive is about 7,500', but the farther you go towards the end of the road, the higher you get, and the less oxygen you have to breathe.  I don't know how the young hikers manage.

What a view into the distance!!! 



Very nice arch. 




This is one of the popular spots for hiking.  You can go down just a few feet or all the way to the bottom here, but we just watched from the top and wondered how these people are going to get back up. 

I know these photos must be looking all the same, but it really all looks different when you are there. 

Cute little guy.  Do you know how to tell the difference between a ground squirrel and a chipmunk?  This little guy is a ground squirrel because he has stripes on his back, but not on his face.  Easy!



I used my telephoto lens to take this photo.  Later, I realized it was the small town of Tropic, about ten miles away.

Such brilliant color!



Another trail we just watched and did not hike ourselves.

The trail goes in and around a lot of these spires or "hoodoos" as they are called.


Thought this was fireweed, but the flowers are too small.


A bunch pf people on the hiking trail. 

OK, is this a ground squirrel or a chipmunk??  Which one has stripes on its face??


You can't see it easily, but the hiking trail goes down into this chasm.

Makes me dizzy just looking down! 






No comments:

Post a Comment