Saturday, August 20, 2022

8/15 McPhee Recreation Area, Southwestern Colorado

This is a federal campground managed by the U.S. Forest Service.  Such campgrounds often do not have electric, water, or sewer hookups.  In researching this place on Recreation.gov and several campground review sites, there was some confusion over exactly what services were provided here.  One problem was that the sewer dump station was clearly closed and needed repair.  Most campers who reviewed this campground also insisted there were faucets for drinking water, but that there was no way to screw in a hose, meaning that if you wanted to fill your water tank, you had to do it by bucketfuls. 

Also, two campsites were clearly labeled as "Full Hookups," meaning that they had electric, water, and sewer, but several campers insisted that this was not true.  I even called the regional office and could not get a clear answer.  

I knew that if I reserved one of these two full hookup sites that I would have an electrical connection, which is important to me in summer weather so I can run my AC.  My biggest concern was drinking water, so I made sure I had at least a two-day supply with me.  I figured I could drive to the next campground without dumping grey and black water, so I went ahead and made the reservation.

So, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this spot DID have all of the hookups I needed.  It was also paved and the campground was almost empty because the lake was mostly dried up.

Here are the electric and water hookups. 

What may have confused some campers is that the faucets with threads for a hose was on the back of the post and not easily visible!!

 

And not only did it have a sewer hookup, but it was functioning, in spite of the main dump station being closed for repairs. 


The next morning, I woke up to find these twins just outside my front window.

 

Mom was across the roadway. 

 

Not the best photo, but this is a black-tailed jackrabbit.  I saw his black tail as he hopped away, but he was too fast for me to get a photo. 

But very close to him was a mountain cottontail, which is a much smaller rabbit with bigger ears.

There were several water faucets in the campground, but this one was the only other one with a threaded hookup.  While it is marked as belonging to Site 11, it was by the roadside and the sign on it said it was for the use of any site. 

I would have spent longer here had I known I would have really had full hookups.  It was a very quiet place, high on a hill, overlooking a desert valley.  Nice camp hosts and only a couple of other camper groups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment