Wednesday, August 7, 2024

8/4 Mackinaw City & Tourist Crowds

I have been to Mackinaw City at the top of Michigan's Lower Peninsula many times in my life, but I have never seen it as busy as it was on this day.  I made a quick stop to buy a couple of Michigan t-shirts to replace a couple that I splashed bleach on, and also to pick up some of their wonderful fudge.  Maybe it was because this was a Sunday, but WOW, what crowds!!  There was also some sort of festival going on, so maybe that was part of it.  I barely managed to find a place to park my large motorhome in the big lot behind the main street.

If you are not familiar with Mackinaw City, it is a small town that is at the very tip of lower Michigan, and thus is a logical stopping place for people going to Mackinac Island for the day, as well as people heading to vacations in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  In my case, I was on my way to Sault Ste Marie and the Soo Locks between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan, as well as heading to Canada and picking up the TransCanada Highway.  

Anyway, here are some photos that show you how touristy it was on this day and how crowded the streets and sidewalks were:

This place has literally thousands of apparel items at very reasonable prices.  Unfortunately, I like the better quality embroidered shirts, so walked around here, but then left.  It's a good shortcut from the parking lot to the main street, at least.



Cars were slowly driving around on this main street, looking for parking spaces.

Certainly no space for a motorhome here. 




 
I got my fudge, but the shop was out of the two t-shirts I wanted.  Onward across the Big Mac bridge to the Upper Peninsula!!





Ah!   Much less crowded in the UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment