Tuesday, August 6, 2024

8/1 Sterling State Park, Monroe, MI

I often stay here when I visit Detroit because it is the closest state park to the city area, and it is on the way from Ohio.  It is directly on Lake Erie, and if you pick the right spot, you will have a nice view of the lake.  

Actually, this photo was taken earlier this summer when I made a short trip to the state park.  Why is this bush encircled with warning tape?  Well, a couple of red-wing blackbirds were raising a family here and were not happy when anyone walked close.  And the birds defined "close" as even on the roadway, outside of their protected area.  I walked too close and got dive-bombed by the parents three or four times!  They hit me on top of my head, from the back, but at least they only used their wings, so no sharp beaks or feet to cause any real pain.

Mostly, it was pretty funny.   There was a group of campers next to the birds who had moved their picnic table to the back of their site, in a relatively bird-safe area, but they were enjoying watching walkers getting hit! 

 

I was able to reserve one of the spots along the lake, which was nice because I had a view and the advantages of a cool lake breeze.  This is the roadway closest to the beach.  The blue buildings on the left are cabins which were added a couple of years ago. 

Each cabin has a kitchen, living area, and two bedrooms.  Most sleep at least 6, and cost $185 per night, which I think is a bit steep, but they are right on the beach and have screened-in porches and great views. My only complaint is that they block the view of the lake from some of the spots I used to like to reserve.


This is the far west end of Lake Erie, a few miles south of Detroit and near Monroe, Michigan. 
 

Not a bad beach, really.  They keep it clean by grooming it every couple of days.

 
A view of the top of my motorhome from the beach. 

 
The campground is large and especially nice during the week, when most of the sites are empty!  Much more peaceful than busy weekends. 

 
My campsite and a visitor's car. 


As I left Sterling State Park and headed north through Detroit, I caught a glimpse of one of the towers of the new Gordie Howe International bridge to Canada that is under construction.  (It has a construction crane on top of it in this photo.)  It will not be finished for another year, but it is desperately needed because right now, there is only one existing bridge, and there can be a very long wait to get across.  Check out this website for more information! 


No comments:

Post a Comment