Monday, April 18, 2016

4/16 From Phoenix to Monument Valley, UT

Got up this morning and put on my usual shorts and a t-shirt because it had been 82 degrees the day before and was expected to be 80 today. So it was a shock when I stopped in Flagstaff for gas on my way to Utah!  Brrrr!  Even with a light jacket, I was clearly not dressed for the weather.

Guess I should have paid more attention to this highway message.
 
Phoenix is at an elevation of about 1,100 feet.  But Flagstaff is at 6,900 feet, so it is a LOT colder.  In fact, the ski season just recently ended there. Note the snow on this mountain and the clouds which look like they are dropping more snow.

And snow on another mountain.

I love the long vistas in the desert.

As you get close to the Arizona-Utah border, you are on the Navajo Nation land, so you see a lot of booths such as these where the Navajos sell jewelry and other crafts.

Love the sandstone formations!

This road seems to go on forever.


I don't know what the name of this rock is, but it is a prominent landmark, indicating we are getting close to Monument Valley.

If you look closely, you can see the mittens in the distance.

After my 300 mile drive, it as nice to get to my campground for the night.  This is Goulding's, which is unusual because it is private property on the Navajo reservation.  The history is that this complex consisting of a hotel, restaurant, gas station, car wash, gift shops, and small market, besides the campground was originally a trading post.  It is located in a small canyon, across the main highway from the main Monument Valley tribal tourist area.  Nice view from the end of the campground!




Nice to be done with my long drive and in a very pleasant campground full hookups!

No comments:

Post a Comment