Tuesday, December 17, 2019

12/14 Anastasia SP, St. Augustine, FL

I took these photos during a couple of walks and also on a quick trip to the beach area after dumping my tanks.  Had a couple of rainy and cold days, but on this day, it finally turned sunny and warmed up a bit.

The first photos are of the beach area.  This is a little beach store that sells snacks and beach items, obviously. 

Almost always in Florida, there are board walkways to beaches because you are not allowed to walk on sand dunes because they and their vegetation protects the land from hurricanes.  And frankly, it makes for much easier walking than fighting your way through the sand. 

Not sure what these are, but I suspect the coloring help insects find the nectar and collect pollen on their way. 

This is as close as I got to the beach because I still had final exams to grade and final grades to turn in!!   


This is a telephoto of the lighthouse, which is over a mile away.  Not sure if you can climb it or not, but I just did not have time while here. 

This is the road to the campground. 

Lots of live oak trees, but no satellite signal, darn. 


These ferns are called resurrection ferns because most of the time they look like dead leaves on live oak branches.  Within hours after a rain, they come alive and turn green again.  Each plant is 5-8" tall. 


And my motorhome tucked into a very private site.  This photo was taken before the rain, so the ground looks just sandy, but after the rain, it tracked like crazy.  Other than when I sit in the driver's seat, I take my shoes off before getting in.  The tracked sand is really building up on my floor mat, so when it all dries, I will have to shake it out and do some vacuuming, but that will have to wait until my next campsite near Sarasota.  (I know from past visits that campsites there are gravel, not sand, so tracking in will be less of a problem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment