Thursday, December 5, 2019

12/1 Savannah, GA

Well, I am finally back to traveling and blogging!  It took me several days to get from Ohio to Georgia, but my first stop was Savannah. The state park I stayed at was Skidmore State Park, and it was full of live oaks with hanging moss--just like you would like a southern Georgia town to look.

It was chilly when I arrived, but Saturday turned out to be sunny and warm, so I took the hop-on-hop-off shuttle to downtown and spent the day wandering around.  
 

 I'd been to Savannah before, but it has been several years, so I just enjoyed riding around in the shuttle.  Some photos of buildings in the older parts of the city:




I stopped in one of the larger parks that has a market going on.  Bought a sandwich because that was all that interested me.  Did not want to carry stuff around all day.  It was just nice to be out and able to walk around all day. 



Another stop was the City Market.  This place had permanent shops and restaurants.  I found an interesting bakery and got some cookies.  


Interesting mural showing prohibition protesters.  Well done, I think. 

And one of the bigger live oaks.  These trees live for hundreds of years and spread out wider than they are tall. 

Final stop before heading home was the riverfront. 




I found it funny to find one of the riverfront shops in this relatively warm city selling so many winter mittens and hats. 


Heading to one of my favorite places tomorrow--Fort Clinch State Park on Amelia Island, FL.




 

2 comments: