Tuesday, January 23, 2018

1/22 Leaving Willow Beach Campground

I left Willow Beach Campground today, and while I was really looking forward to getting back into reliable internet access and cell phone range, I did hate to leave.  However, the best part of moving around like I do is that there is always something to look forward to in the next campground.  (Have you ever been without a cell phone, or any kind of phone for that matter, for ten days?  It has been frustrating because there are some things I really, really needed my phone to do.)  

So, since I keep telling my friends and fellow campers how gorgeous this place is and how nice the campground sites are, I thought I would post some last photos.  The first will be some of the random, empty sites around the campground, starting with the handicap site I had next to the restroom because that's where the new router was located:


Even the non-handicap sites were very large and paved, with full hookups.  I paid only $17.50 for my site because I get a federal senior discount and because I made my reservations before they raised the prices.  Costs will now be $50 for non-seniors and $25 for seniors or with a federal disabled pass.  If you are a U.S. citizen and over 62 or disabled, these are lifetime passes that are really a fantastic deal because you get into all federal recreation areas completely free and you get a 50% discount on most camping. 

Here are some more sites. 



 
 The campground is located on a slope quite a ways from the river and the marina, and the marina is where the offices are located.  So if you need something, you have go head down this very steep road.  Since I have no car, I had to do it several times on my electric bike, riding both brakes all the way down. 

This is a different road than the one you use to get to the marina, but it also goes through a canyon, so you can see the loose gravel that they have had to move out of the way after the recent rain.  But at least this road ends at the campground and ranger's home, so it gets less use than the main road, which is really crumbling.  But they really need one of those rotary brush machines to get the rest of the gravel off--tough on a bike. 
 
This is part-way down with a closer view of the river.

This was the same place as in the photo above, but looking back up towards the campground.  I had to use my pedals to help the electric motor coming back up, but I made it without having to get off and walking up. 

Gorgeous view of the Black Canyon of the Colorado River.  The road to the right, by the way, goes to a viewpoint and picnic area for day use people. 

This is the view looking downstream. 

And this is a view of the marina and the rental boats. 
Another view of the marina, but looking upstream.  Hoover Dam is about 12 miles upstream, but you can get only within a mile of it in a private boat.  There is a raft trip I want to take when I come back here in March and when it is warmer.  http://www.blackcanyonadventures.com/black-canyon-raft-tour


 

2 comments:

  1. That looks like it is pretty close to home. Funny how you drive by places so many times but never check the out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite places. It's probably 45 minutes from your place. I'll be here in March, so join me. I'm planning on taking the raft trip and have this listed in the GTG section on the women's forum.

    ReplyDelete