Monday, April 24, 2017

4/23 Delicious Detroit

I know that every part of the country has its favorite foods, but having been born in Detroit and having spent nearly all my life living nearby, I cannot help but be partial to Detroit and Michigan foods. Most people think of Detroit as a decayed city and one without much of a future and hardly a place to spend a vacation, especially a culinary vacation.  However, recently a couple of articles have given this area praise for its restaurants.

I have been coming “home” to the Detroit area only about once a year, but when I do, I stock up my pantry, refrigerator, and freezer with as much Detroit food as I can stuff in.  It is the one time of year I wish I had a bigger refrigerator.

Because Detroit was one of the biggest and most important industrial cities for most of the 20Th Century, it has been attracting immigrants from other parts of the U.S. and from the world in general.  The result are the communities of Irish Corktown, Greektown, Polish Hamtramck, and Dearborn, where you can get fantastic Middle-Eastern food.  (Check out one of the summer ethnic festivals in downtown at Hart Plaza, also.)

If you ever decide to come to Detroit and are looking for some good places to eat, here are a couple of lists.

Tomorrow, I will tell you about some of my favorite grocery items I stock up on when I come to Detroit for a visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment