Tuesday, February 7, 2017

1/28 Juno Beach Loggerhead Marinelife Center

Yes, I know this is completely out of order, but I forgot to post about this place that I visited back in January.  I have been really lazy lately, to say the least, but that is one of the benefits of being mostly retired! 

Anyway, The Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Juno Beach is another one of several places in Florida that rescues and rehabilitates sea turtles.  Here is a link that describes what they do:  https://www.marinelife.org/conservation/.    This big guy meets you at the entrance. Not sure what kind of turtle he is, but he is certainly big!   



Notice how his ribs are part of his shell.

I think the undersides of his shell is especially interesting. It is composed of four large bony plates.

 




I think these are baby loggerheads.  They are not sick and will be released soon.

View of some of their turtle pools.  I believe this is a green turtle.

Green sea turtle??  Or is this another loggerhead?  I am obviously better at birds!



This green sea turtle has a lot of stuff growing on his back!

Anyway, they have an operating room and equipment to diagnose problems in turtles.
 
Anyway, it was a pleasant hour visit.  No entrance fees, but they do ask for a $5 donation per person.

No comments:

Post a Comment