Friday, December 2, 2016

12/1 Made Pasties Today!

They are a lot of work, but I do love these.  One thing that makes the time it takes worthwhile is that I make several at a time.  Made four today, so I have three extra meals ready to reheat whenever I want them.  Here is the recipe for four pasties:

You need enough pie crust for two two-crust pies.  You can buy ready-made pie crust, but it is really not that hard to make.  I make my own.  Then you cut up about half of a rutabaga, two medium-large potatoes, and a medium onion into cubes.  Mix all in a bowl.  You also need to have handy, a pound of ground beef.  Purists use roughly ground "chili" beef.  All ingredients are obviously raw.  


Roll out 1/4 of pie crust and alternately place chunks of ground beef and vegetables in a mound, as shown.  Then you pull the far side over to cover everything and crimp the edges.
 
OK, I admit that this really looks messy, but no matter, you can eat the messy ones first.  Don't forget to poke some steam holes in the middle.


 
 Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes until they look done and a knife can be inserted easily in the middle.
 
You can eat as soon as done, or let cool a bit and then wrap in foil and put in plastic bag and freeze.  When you are ready to eat one, take it out and let it thaw a bit.  You can put it in an oven for 20 minutes or so, or microwave them.  The oven method gives you a better crust, but I really don't care because I mostly like the filling.

Pasties are a very old food, eaten as far back as the 13th Century in England.  Samuel Pepys used to write about them in his famous diary in the1650s.   Here is some history: http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/The-Cornish-Pasty/

No comments:

Post a Comment