Friday, February 22, 2013

2/21 Jonathan Dickinson State Park River Tour

I have been planning to take a boat tour on the Loxahatchee River, but had trouble getting this scheduled because they do not go all the way to the end when there is a low tide.  The river has been designated a National Wild and Scenic River and dumps into the Atlantic at Jupiter Inlet.  While the beach areas are pretty heavily developed, as in all parts of Florida, you just have to drive a few miles inland to see the "real" Florida as it used to be--full of scrub and pine hammocks. 

I have been staying in the newer campground nearer the entrance of this park, but since this is a very large park, it is 4.5 miles by road to the main visitor center and the river tour concession.  Rather than unhook everything, put my slides in, and drive, I decided to ride my bike.  Luckily it was not too hot, but there was a stiff breeze and the few ups and downs of the road wore me out.  Pretty countryside and very quiet while you are riding.


I saw a couple stopped ahead of me, and then noticed the gopher turtle that was munching on grass:

There was also a place where you could rent a horse or take a wagon ride.  Believe it or not, in many of the state parks here, you can bring your horse and camp in a special equestrian campground nearby.

Here are some photos of the tour boat and the river. 

As we went upriver, the river got narrower, and we approached the homestead of a man named Trapper John. 

Apparently, in the 30s, this guy lived by trapping all kinds of animals and having paying guests, among them some famous people.  Looked too buggy and primative for my tastes! Here is his home and the places where he kept live animals to sell.


Saw a few birds and some turtles on the way back.  The guide said these were called sliders:

Some lady in the parking lot saw me getting on my bike and commented to her friends that she didn't have the stamina to ride a bike.  Well, neither do I, but I do it anyway.  By the time I got back to my motorhome, I could barely make it up the stairs and indoors.  My right knee was really swollen and bothering me, so I collapsed in my chair for a couple of hours before I got the energy to get some dinner and take a shower.  Whew! 

1 comment:

  1. Great tour Judy. Sounds like fun but that was quite a bike ride there and back.

    ReplyDelete