Friday, October 7, 2022

10/4 The Marine Science Center at Fort Worden

The Marine Science Center at Fort Worden consists of two small buildings at the beach campground.  This building contains a few displays of local sea life.



I was happy to see that someone else collects sand!  I have not posted about this, but I have been saving small bags of sand from many of the beaches I have visited.  My intent is to put each one in a small bottle and display them in a spice rack as reminders of all the places I have been.  One of my sons bought me a spice rack and we picked up a couple of dozen bottles last month.  I heat each sample in my microwave to dry the same and to kill anything that might be alive.  I have a bunch of bags stored under my motorhome I need to work on, but I have four recent samples already put in bottles.  Next, I need to get and print out some nice labels and then figure out where and how to hang the spice rack! 

This is the second of the two buildings.  Unfortunately, this pier is ancient and is slated for demolition in a couple of years, so the displays will all be moved to a new facility in nearby Port Townsend.  (They plan to rebuild the pier. but it will be a lot smaller, so there will be no room for the museum collections.)

 
This is a small collection, but it is very specialized!  When I was here four years ago, they had a session on every Saturday, where they gave you tongs and various types of food for the starfish and other things in this tank.  They have stopped that, but you can touch the animals in these tanks.  

And, no, they have NOT dyed these urchins and starfish! 


I think these are some sort of clams.  Notice that even the rocks have stuff growing on them.


 
In the middle of all the mollusks is this octopus.  

I tried to find his mouth, but it was really tucked in.

And more starfish and urchins and who knows what else!  Can you believe the dark blue starfish next to the pink one??

Not sure what this white thing is.




Anyway, all of these are living creatures that visitors can touch, if you have the courage.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment