Sunday, October 23, 2022

10/18 South Beach SP, Newport, OR

This is a very nice state park close to the beach.  You do need to walk about 1,000' to get there, but there are several, nice, paved paths for walking or bikes.  I have been here before a couple of times and was planning on riding my bike around, but the weather has been really cold and windy, plus, I cannot find my bike key, so I have been spending a lot of time indoors catching up on reading and some chores. 

I don't know if it is because October is off-season and they are short of camp hosts and rangers, but the last several campgrounds have had absolutely no one manning the entrance booths.  Day use people need to fill out a form and put money in a slot, but campers with reservations have already paid for their sites, so we just need to go to our sites and get set up.  Nearly always, there will be a tag on the site with our names on it. 

This is my campsite, but I am not going to pick site B14 again because I had trees on both sides of me, which made it tough to get into.  Notice that the roof and rear of my vehicle is clear of trees, however.  I always choose sites where I can get a clear satellite view to the south so I can watch TV!!


Tuesday turned out to at least be sunny, so I decided to go for a long beach walk since I cannot ride my bike due to my missing bike key. 



The entire coast in the Northwest is wet and usually cool, so a lot of moss grows.  It reminds me of a lot of places in Florida where you also get moss on trees.

Finally, the beach!! 

This is looking north towards the jetty that protects the south part of the harbor entrance.

And this is looking south.  Not much this way for several miles.

I like walking during low tide because the hard sand is easier to walk on and you can see stuff that washes up better.  I am getting closer to the jetty, which is about 3/4 of a mile away.

 
The white thing is a large fishing boat that I saw in the Newport harbor the other day when I drove over the big bridge. 
 

Wish I could find the name of this ship so I could look it up and see what it is doing.

The large ship in the distance along with a smaller fishing boat.

A view standing on the jetty looking out in the ocean.

A lot of people use the jetty for fishing or just walking.  Lots of warning signs!

At this point, I decided I would walk to the main highway and stop at the nearby fish market.

It was a long walk along the roadway that goes from the jetty to the main highway, but I got to take this photo of a fishing boat and the lighthouse in the distance.


My walk to the fish market was a lot longer than I planned on, but here are some crab pots. 

Whew!  I estimate that so far I have walked over two miles, but I arrived at the fish market and ordered a fish sandwich and some clam chowder to take home. 


At this point, even after resting and having my fish sandwich and a Coke, I was really tired.  I did a lot of walking in London, but I am really out of shape.  I tried to get an Uber, but ended up walking another mile and a half to the state park!!  I may not be able to walk tomorrow because my muscles are already complaining.

I did want to post this sign I noticed in Newport a couple of days ago.  Somebody, at least, has a sense of humor.  I have not checked to see if U.S 20 actually does go to Boston!!

I have a pint of clam chowder which I am looking forward to for a couple of dinners or lunches in the coming week!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment