Monday, October 31, 2022

10/28 Merrill Campground, Eagle Lake, California

Eagle Lake is the second largest natural freshwater lake that is entirely in California.  Most of the "lakes" in California are really reservoirs because they were contructed with dams, but there are a small handful of "real" lakes in California, and this is one of them.  

If you have never heard of Eagle Lake, it is because it is way up in the far northeast corner of California, about 15 miles north of the town of Susanville.  It is also northeast of the Lassen National Park area.  I have been here before and love the big trees.  I was told, however, that the lake has some of the best rainbow trout in the state.  

It was VERY cold here, with nighttime temps dropping to about 22 degrees.  The state park, has three types of campsites--full hookup, partial hookup, and no hookup, so lots of choice.  

Here are some photos of the drive to the lake and the campground. 


Not a lot of traffic, as you can see, but there was a very large area of burned-over land.  I need to look up the name of the fire.   Just checked it out, and this was the 8,000 acre Hog fire in 2020. 




The road from Susanville is steep and winding, but I was able to take this quick photo of the lake in the distance. 


 
I had a partial hookup site because I was only there for one night.  Partial hookup means electric and water, but no sewer hookup.  

You can tell how big the trees are by comparing them to the size of my motorhome.  I will be back here again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment