Wednesday, September 28, 2022

9/27 Pacific Beach State Park, WA

This is one of my favorite campgrounds and very hard to get into because it is directly on the Pacific Ocean.  I have several times made reservations early enough to get one of the sites that are directly overlooking the beach.  The sites are a little too close together and there is no shade, but the sounds and views of the ocean more than make up for that. 

My site was the third on the right here.  Unfortunately, they do not let you pull in forward into most of the sites, so while I can hear the ocean, I just can't see it from my chair!!

 
There are more sites on the other side of the roadway, but they also face away from the ocean--not a well planned campground!
 

 
 But this is the view behind my motorhome.  This first photo looks south, away from the state park and over the clear stream that comes out of the mountains into the ocean:

 
This is an enormous beach!  You can get worn out just walking to the water's edge. 


Great views!!

This photo shows the river and the RVs camped along the edge of it and the ocean. 

You can see my multicolored rig in this photo. 

When I was last here, a couple of years ago, this stream was only about 10' wide.  Now it is about two or three times the width and has a very fast current.

I took this photo right when the tide was changing, so some of the water from the stream was going out, but the tide was pushing some of it back to the shore--a very confused river.

The photos I posted above were taken a couple of days ago.  I was planning on today being sunny again, but it was foggy and drizzly all day, so the following photos show that fog.  This one shows the view to the north, except you really can't see much in the distance.

 

There were some big birds on a sandbar at low tide where the river meets the ocean.  I originally thought they were white pelicans, but as I got closer and used my telephoto lens, I realized they were brown pelicans, which I did not know existed in Washington.  I looked them up, however, and discovered they were an endangered California subspecies.  There are only about 1,600 of these, according to the state website.  


You can see more clearly in this closeup that these are brown pelicans.  There were about 50 of them.  Their yellow heads show these are adults. 

On the other side of the river were quite a few seagulls.  

Love these views, even with the fog and light rain!!



No comments:

Post a Comment