Thursday, July 29, 2021

7/24 Sterling State Park, Monroe, MI, on a crowded weekend

 Most of the year, I enjoy staying at county, state, and national park campgrounds because spaces tend to be large and I enjoy being out in nature.  However, during the summer and holiday weekends, being out in nature turns out to be more like being out in a huge crowd of families! 

However, as a full-timer, I have to stay somewhere, so this summer I am putting around Ohio and Michigan visiting relatives and friends.  I have stayed several times at this state park, but this was the busiest time I have ever been here.  Luckily, I had chosen a site at the end, overlooking Lake Erie, so it was not too bad.

One problem is that they have added cabins along the lakeside, which blocks the views of campers, so my lakeside site was not so lakeside anymore.

They do look like nice little cabins, however, and are a good choice for people who want to camp but don't have their own equipment.

The beach was pretty wide and looked as if it was in good condition.  The weather was perfect the six days I was there with sunshine most days and a gentle breeze off the lake.

 

 
However, I assume because they have been stuck at home for so many months, an awful lot of people are going camping this summer.  


This view really shows how crowded the campground was.  Lots of people seemed to have invited friends over.




No comments:

Post a Comment