Wednesday, September 30, 2020

9/27 Drive to Escalante, UT

 It is amazing how the scenery changes as you drive even a few miles.  Today was an especially scenic but challenging drive because I have had my check engine light on for about a week, but cannot get anyone to fix it. I was told by one small-town truck repair shop that three of my cylinders were missing, so I am happy to have a v-10 engine that gives me seven extra cylinders!

Luckily, the engine has been missing here and there, but mostly chugging away, hauling its over 14,500 pound weight.  

Started out this morning at about 5,000' in elevation, but slowly started climbing.  A positive is that there was not much traffic on this route.  And no big trucks, for reasons that will be obvious soon.

You can tell you are getting high when you start seeing trees.


At this point, the road was over 8,000' high and heading to a 9,600' pass.  It is so high that it really looks like fall up here.


Up, up, and more up in the distance.

Headed down now, but the road is now following a sharp ridge with little on either side other than big drop-offs. 

The sign is absolutely correct.  Note how the road ahead has no shoulder along the edge?  At several places, I was afraid to look down.

See what I mean????


Getting closer to Escalante where I was planning on spending a couple of days and doing some much-needed laundry, the rock changes from reds to sand-colored.  Note the patch of green on the left-center?

This is a closeup.  You could certainly hide from people there.  The trees means there must be water there, also.

Lots of rocks and canyons.



I took a photo of the road I had just driven on at this scenic view spot.

Nice to have good parking.

Back down to about 6,000' finally on a nice, flat road!



No comments:

Post a Comment