Sunday, September 13, 2020

9/10 Heyburn RIverside RV Park

Heyburn Riverside RV Park belongs to the city of Heyburn, ID, which is about 40 miles east of Twin Falls, ID.  I have stayed here a couple of times before, and decided it is a nice, quiet and pleasant place to spend some time and relax.  It is also inexpensive, especially for a full-hookup and nicely landscaped city park because they give you not only a senior discount, but also a discount for being a Good Sam member.  And in my case, because I spent a whole week here, I also got one day free!  Can't beat that!

And I knew that I would have to grade final exams and turn them in this week, as well as get my class ready for the fall semester.  Plus, I wanted to try out my new bike on the bike trail along the Snake River.

Unfortunately, the first two days I was here it was very hot--as in upper 90s.  And then we had a rain storm come through, and it became too cold!  For a while, I thought i might be in Kansas!

Anyway, the two photos shown here do NOT show smoke from fires in Oregon, though I thought they might be that at first.  But I was sitting out chatting with a neighbor about the clouds, around 7:30 p.m. and suddenly the temp went from 82 to cold enough that we both started to shiver--like in about five minutes. I ran into my motorhome, grabbed my camera and took two photos as the wind came.  This is facing south and slightly west.


Standing in my doorway, I took photos facing east, over the elementary school playground next door.  Note the big poplar trees bending in the wind. 

Branches started hitting my roof and flying past, so I had just enough time to take the next two photos.  Then I closed and locked the door, turned my RV engine on and hit the slide buttons to put them in.  I learned my lesson about winds tearing the slide awnings a couple of years ago, in Kansas, of course!   These photos were taken facing away from the trees, as I did not want to have the door torn away from me by the wind. 
 

 

About 8:30 p.m., the rain started.  First, it was just a few drops, but eventually it was a lot stronger, and we lost power for a couple of hours.  The nice thing about living in a motorhome, by the way, is that I not only have batteries, but also a generator if I need AC.  Except by now, the temps were down in the 40s!  So, I had to turn on both my little electric heater and my rear furnace.

The next day, the air was clean and cool, with sunshine back!  And the camp host had almost all the broken branches picked up by the time I got up and dressed.  So, I got my bike out and went for a ride.  The campground is next to the Snake River and a city-owned park, so there was a nice paved bike path and some botanical gardens.

No pavement in this campground, but the gravel was packed very hard, making it easier to ride my bike.  I do not like loose gravel because I do not want to take a chance on falling, so this was nice.  

Views of the city park from the bike path. 



Cute little covered bridge made a good place to take a rest.  

Prairie flowers. 



And back to the city park and campground.  




No comments:

Post a Comment