Sunday, July 8, 2018

7/6 Columbia River Drive & Bonneville Dam

Today, I headed west to et to my next campsite northwest of Vancouver, Washington.  My route followed the Columbia River for most of the 250 miles I drove on this day.  


And there is Mount Rainier in the distance!


No photos as I was very busy driving, but at the Hood River I cut across from I-84 on the south side of the river to route 14 on the north side, which is supposed to be more scenic. Also, I had been told that there was a lot of construction in Portland and this route would avoid that.  The only problems were an extremely narrow bridge crossing the Columbia River and five tunnels with just barely enough clearance for my vehicle.  

Since none of the tunnels had warning signs until you got very close to them, I pulled into a boat launch parking lot and called the Washington DOT which assured me there were no more tunnels or narrow clearance bridges ahead of me.  I found out that the DOT has a call center open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so they are a very good resource for road conditions. 

 I had been to Bonneville Dam on the south side of the river a couple of years ago, but as I passed the north side visitor center, I turned in. 






This is a view of the north side fish ladder. 

Nice display area. 

They were repairing the ceiling in the power room, so I had to sit down and take a photo very low to see under the plastic draping.

Except for the propaganda on this display.  Check out the enlarged version below. 

Does anyone REALLY believe this?  If it is true, why are they spending so much money on fish hatcheries????

The fish ladder up close. 

And from inside. 


Viewing windows of a portion of the fish ladder. 

 This are Pacific Lampries, which supposedly do not cause the same problems as the ones in the Great Lakes.  Still not my favorite fish, however.

Hard to tell what fish these are headed upstream.  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment