Tuesday, July 3, 2018

6/30 Yellowstone Campground & Wildflowers

While my son and his family stayed at hotels, I stayed at Madison Campground and Canyon.  Canyon was best because I could text a tiny bit, but  big problem with Yellowstone is that the park has been fighting better cell service for years.  It is not that the providers are not willing to put in towers or even that the towers will look ugly.  The problem is that some people believe that people should come to the park and enjoy nature without having to listen to others use cell phones. 

Really.  So there is almost no cell service in the entire park.  That means if you need to contact someone, you have to go to the very few places where you can even get a hint of a signal.  Or, if you are staying at a hotel, you have to pay a fee for internet service and communicate that way.  For someone like me who needs internet to work while traveling, you are pretty much out of luck.  

You can also imagine how difficult it is for a group of multiple people to contact one another and make plans.  One day, I even left the park to drive to West Yellowstone to catch up on email. Otherwise, I like the park campground, even if they don't have electric service.  It is MUCH easier to do without power since I have good house batteries and a generator than it is to do without communication.   

This is check-in at Madison Campground. 


My campsite in Madison.  Would you believe that while I could not send a text message, I got TV one day while I was running my generator to charge my batteries?



 Not quite my style of camping, but I am guessing these people are backpackers.  

I have never seen a bear around, but unless you have a hard-sided RV, you are required to keep all food in a bear box.  

I am posting these photos of wildflowers, but it may take me a while to identify them all.  Suggestiond and corrections are welcome.  I believe this one is Lewis' Flax.  

????

An aster of some sort??

I think this is a Meadow Anemone.


The stagecoach driver told us that the root of this spiky plant is edible and saved the life of a lost hiker once, but I can't remember the name.  Found it!  This is Elk Thistle or Evert's Thistle.  See this article that says b0tyoth the stem and roots are edible:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ipnf/learning/?cid=fsm9_019148


I am pretty sure this is Shrubby cinquefoil.  FLower and plant match photos online.

So skip the geysers and look down at Yellowstone!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you might get an opportunity to go up north past West Yellowstone through the earthquake area. When I was a girl in the mid 60's, my family went through there and saw the devastated area, as well as the lake that had been formed when the mountain fell. It was fascinating. When I went through there just two years ago, I was flooded with memories of that trip, and marveled at the beauty of how the earth had repaired itself and turned a tragedy into magnificence.

    ReplyDelete