Wednesday, July 4, 2018

7/2 Montana & Lolo Pass, Idaho

The drive through Montana to Missoula is beautiful.  I know Wyoming is "Big Skies" but the views in Montana are just as big.  Thought this sign was funny.  Whichever way you go, you will be on 287! 

Not much traffic, either.  


One of my favorite bakeries is in Missoula.  This shows I-90 headed down into Missoula.  What a beautiful place to live! 

After stopping for gas and some pastries from Wheat Montana, I headed on U.S. 12 to my next stop in Washington State.   I had forgotten driving here before, and I was very lazy about taking photos, but U.S. 12 follows the Nez Perce trail through the Bitterroot Mountains over Lolo Pass for 156 miles.  Once on it, all you can do is turn around, but it is a gorgeous route and worth an entire day.  This is also the route that Louis and Clark took, except that the Nez Perce Trail that they took follows the ridge of the mountains along the north side of this river.  You can hike it if you choose, as well.

Here is a link to more information:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nezperceclearwater/recarea/?recid=80112   Unfortunately, there is no cell service along the way or gas stations or stores or restaurants or anything, so stock up before you go.  There are quite a few primitive campsites, but none with electric, water, or even dump stations. There are two important historic sites along the road.  The first is a very interesting visitor center at the top of Yolo Pass and the other is the old ranger's cabin at the western end of the drive.

This site identifies it as a dangerous road, but I think that really applies only in winter.  https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4660-lolo-pass.html

Unfortunately, I had to get to my next stop so could not do it justice, but if you are in this area, try this route instead of the interstate.  I did take a few photos, however.




Even after you get out of most of the mountains, the road passes through a couple of small towns and then still heads west along the Clearwater River.  It is more open here, however, which I am sure Lewis and Clark appreciated. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment