Friday, September 13, 2024

9/11 Lakes Louise & Moraine

There are two main lakes near the village of Lake Louise, and you cannot drive there yourself.  You can take a free shuttle bus from your campground or hotel, or you can park in the huge parking lot of the Lake Louise ski area.  Also, as I mentioned before, you can also take a bus from Banff, and those buses drop you off here, so this is the main transportation hub. 

You also need a reservation for the shuttles to the two lakes, and you really need to make those reservations two days ahead of time, or you are likely to be out of luck, as they fill up fast. 

Today was a miserable day for sightseeing and for waiting for buses because it was cold, windy, and drizzling.  High was only 54 degrees, which felt even colder when you are damp and in the wind, but this was the day I had made my reservation, so I bundled up as best as I could. 

I did not take a good photo of the line of buses, but this is the lodge for the ski resort.   Obviously, there is no snow right now, even though it felt like it.

 

The entrance to Lake Louise, after being dropped off by the bus. 



It is a beautiful glacial lake, but the top of the tall mountain in the distance was covered in clouds, so it did not look quite as nice as it normally does. 

You can rent kayaks and even stand-up paddle boards, but I would think it would be very cold if you fell off, considering most of this water was recently ice and snow.


This river empties the lake as more water from melting snow enters the lake.

I don't know if there is any time of year when this place is not crowded, but it was very difficult to take photos or even get a good view because of the crowds.  People came by the busloads and not all were very polite about not crowding others. 

You can walk around the lake, and maybe I would have done it a few decades ago, but not now. 

The fancy Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise hotel on the lake.  Must be really nice there after the buses stop running!!

 
You cannot get from one lake to the other without another shuttle, my third so far this day.  And there is always a line and not much to keep the rain off while you wait.  

Arrival at Lake Moraine.

They call this the rock pile for obvious reasons, and you climb it at your own risk.



Not sure, but I think Lake Moraine is slightly smaller than Lake Louise. 



It does not have a hotel, but it does have a gift shop and cafe. 

Back on the buses, and only two more shuttles to get to my campground!  I got inside my motorhome, turned on both of my small electric heaters, and took off my wet jacket and put on dryer clothing.  Brrrrr.   Once I got warmed it, I had a good night's sleep. 





No comments:

Post a Comment