Saturday, October 28, 2023

10/28 Missed Excitement of Burning Boat Yesterday

I noticed a fire truck and a couple of other emergency vehicles in this very small campground yesterday, but I was on my way out to walk around the nearby town of Fernandina Beach, so I figured someone had had a heart attack or something, and drove out.  

When I got back several hours later, I was told that there had been quite a bit of excitement with a boat on the shore on fire twice!  

Apparently, what happened was that a boat with people in it caught fire nearby and made it to the beach.  Everyone was able to get out safely, but the boat continued to burn until the fire department arrived and put it out.  Or at least they thought they had put it out.  A couple of hours later, it burst into flames again and the fire department arrived again.  Water and chemicals did nothing, so they ended up tossing a lot of wet sand onto it, which finally put the fire out.  

When I went out for a walk today, the remains were still sitting on the beach.  I think it must have been high tide when the boat burned because it was low tide when I took photos and it was in no danger of floating away.  In any case, I am guess that maybe on Monday, someone will come to remove what is left.  

This is the back of the boat.  Not much left. 

And a good view of the inside. 

Hard to see but there are two big engines in the middle.  I suspect it will take some big equipment to remove these and the rest of the remains.  The front half of the boat is pretty much buried in sand, which I assume is because it was tossed on there to help put out the second fire. 


Some of the remnants that must have been pulled out of the boat while it was burning.

If you look very carefully, you will see a bottle of water and a can of some other drink, so this must have been a cooler.  Or maybe a refrigerator of some sort??

Not sure what this is, but some of it looks like floorboards of the boat. 


Apparently, I also missed a submarine coming in during the early morning and another one leaving later in the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment