Tuesday, June 30, 2020

6/30 Camping in Duluth, MN

Yes, I really mean camping IN Duluth.  I am staying three nights in Lakehead Boat Basin.  But to get here, you have to drive over the famous lift bridge that enables the big lake freighters to enter the Duluth Harbor.  Here is is from about half a mile away. 

Looks pretty narrow.  Will my rig fit???  At least my GPS seems to think so, and it evaluates routes based on how tall, wide, long, and heavy my rig is.  It usually keeps me out of trouble.

Lots of shops and restaurants to explore tomorrow.  


Here goes!!!!!  OK, I know I should not be taking photos while driving through a narrow bridge, but I was just pointing the camera and clicking, while hoping for the best.

This is the boat basin.  It consists of a couple of long, paved areas where boats are sometimes stored.

During the winter, the boats are stored indoors or on pavement at the boat basin.  During the summer, the boats go in the water, and the parking spots are rented as RV campsites.  Each one has a separate water and electrical connection, and a few have a sewer hookup.  For the rest, there is a dump station near the entrance.  

Great views of the city of Duluth and the harbor!!  

Sites are not very large, but everyone fits in.  Most campers have come this week to watch the city fireworks in the harbor.  I was told that sites for the 4th are rented several years in advance. 


I am guessing this ship is taking on grain??  Or cement?  Will need to check. 

Interesting.  This is the Federal Biscay, a bulk carrier built in 2015 and flagged out of the Marshall Islands!  Is picking up a cargo of wheat, and probably transporting it to Europe.  If you want to find a ship, try this website:  https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9697856

View of the bridge from the campsites. 

Tomorrow, I am going to walk over the bridge and explore some of the shops and restaurants on both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment