Saturday, May 25, 2019

5/25 Living in Campgrounds

Most people are used to living in houses, condos, or apartment buildings, but very few live as I do, full-time in a motorhome parked in campgrounds.  So what have I learned about living in campgrounds?

First, I have to say that they are all different.  I choose campgrounds that fit my needs and have the atmosphere and amenities I like.  For example, I like a nice open view, paved campsites so I don't have to deal with dirt and mud, campsites that are spread apart nicely, so I don't have to listen to my neighbors, and no permanent residents like you get in private campgrounds.  That means I prefer national, state, and county campgrounds, which do not allow permanent residents and where sites are more spread out. 

Other people, particularly those with kids and boats, might prefer campgrounds on a lake or large river.  I don't care about those things, and I don't need a place with a pool or hot tub or children's activities.  (And, PLEASE, no weekend Big Foot calling contests or late night scavenger hunts for teenagers!  Long stories about these.)

One thing that might surprise you is that most campgrounds are extremely quiet places, assuming they are not right next to a major highway.  This is important because RV sidewalls are very thin and not soundproofed.  People, especially the ones in tents, tend to go to bed early and except on busy holiday weekends, after 10 p.m. and quiet hours begin, you can hardly hear anything outside.  There is also a lot less traffic through most campgrounds than there was in my condo complex, so that contributes to quietness, also.

There are exceptions, however.  I have been in campgrounds where large families or other groups have gathered to celebrate a big weekend, and people party all day and night.  Last Fourth of July, I was in a huge state park where every spot was packed with campers and their friends, and next door in the day use area, there were several hundred people attending a "Friends of Bill" picnic. People were parked in the fields as the parking lots filled up.  I was also camped in Florida once next to two couples, one of which was sleeping in the back of the SUV and slammed door until 2 a.m.   When they left the next morning, a couple in a motorhome moved in next to me and started fighting, with the wife turning on the stereo to drown out the man's shouting.  I found another spot and left as fast as I could. 

However, this is Memorial Day Weekend, and while I noticed a couple of large family groups yesterday, everyone is pretty much indoors today.  Could be due to fact that it is raining, but sometimes if there is a lake or river nearby, people are just gone for the day.  

Campgrounds are also mostly very dark.  This is a good thing because you can see the stars and even the Milky Way in many state parks.  But it is bad because you really need a flashlight to walk anywhere.  It is also a reason why I always get to a campground before dark.  Backing into a strange spot in the dark without someone with a flashlight directing you is really difficult.  

Sometimes, it can also be boring in a campground, especially when it is raining and chilly, like it is today.  That is OK, however, because I am mostly retired, and a drizzly day is a good opportunity to do some serious cooking and baking.  (I am making pasties today, which takes making pie crust dough and cutting up a lot of vegetables.)  Also time for a good book or a nap.  Since I travel slowly and tend to stay in one place for several day, I have no need to race about looking for places to visit or activities to participate in.  There is always another day.   

Days also get filled up with normal household things.  Yesterday, I made several trips to the campground laundromat to do two loads of clothes.  I did some vacuuming and had an RV repairman come to check my roof noise and replace my kitchen faucet.  I also had papers for my online class to grade.  Tomorrow, I am going to run some errands, pick up some groceries, and wash the outside of my rig because I am heading north on Monday. 

Lastly, or at least until I think of something else to add, campgrounds are very safe and theft of belongings is very rare.  In seven years, I have never had anyone threaten me or scare me, or bang on my door late at night, nor have I had anything I left outdoors stolen.  I did leave a commercial campground once because I did not like the look of the three men a few sites down who spent the entire day drinking while sitting around a picnic table, but that is the only time.  Most fellow-campers, especially those of us who are longer-term travelers, look out for one another and provide help when needed.  Vehicle trouble or a flat tire or trouble backing into a camping spot will soon attract a crowd of onlookers wanting to give advice.  When I was sick once, I had offers to take me to the doctor and get groceries for me.  I also had people knock on my door to check on me when I stayed indoors all day, so I never feel afraid or worry about being alone when I am staying in a campground!



1 comment:

  1. Twelve or fifteen years ago I would have agreed with you that very few people live full time in their RVs, but it has gotten much more common in recent years, and not just for retirees. A quick search of Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and internet blogs will turn up hundreds, or thousands, of folks who have embraced this nomadic way of life. Luckily, it's still a big country and there's mostly room out there for all of us.

    ReplyDelete