Saturday, February 17, 2018

2/14 Picacho Peak

As you drive on I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson, you will see a mountain on the west side of the highway with a unique shape, less than a mile off the freeway.  This is Picacho Peak, and there is a state park campground at its base.  The peak was formed by a volcanic flow that never reached the surface, but is now eroded away by time.

This mountain has a long history with travelers as a landmark for travelers because of its unique shape and the fact that it can be seen for miles.  In fact, even pre-historic travelers knew this peak and one of their major trails went past it.  In fact, the park even boasts a Civil War battlefield.  In looking online for more history, I found an excellent student paper on this place.  http://skywalker.cochise.edu/wellerr/students/picacho/project.htm 

I only stayed here for two nights, and it was cloudy during the day, so I did not take many photos, but this is one of my favorite way-points along I-10 and a highly rated campground.  







No comments:

Post a Comment