Sunday, December 24, 2017

12/24 North of Las Vegas

I have not been posting lately and no photos today.  Mostly, I have been visiting family and traveling in not-very interesting places.  I also spent a day-and-a-half in Bakersfield, CA, dealing with motorhome problems and another half-day in Fairfield, CA, getting my squealing brakes looked at.   

This year has been a really bad one for maintenance expenses.  Here are just a few for those of you who think RVing is an inexpensive way to live.  Note that this list consists of only the larger repairs.  Smaller parts and self-maintenance things are not included:
  • New toilet in Ft. Myers, FL, in February.  It was leaking, and I tried to fix it myself, then called a mobile RV repairman who also tried to replace the seal, and was unsuccessful.  After deciding I needed an entirely new toilet, ended up at the only place that would order one for me--Camping World.  Except the one that they ordered did not fit, so they installed another model in a hurry before they closed that day.  Cost = $480, and I still had an odor problem from underneath somewhere. 
  • New house water pump in GA.  Cost = $273 except the guy never told me he had left the faucet on slightly in the bathroom.  So, I turned the water on in the kitchen to wash my hands, and drove an hour farther north.  Ended up with a flood because RV sinks do not have overflow holes, so it took me over an hour to clean up the mess and wet rug.  
  • In Ohio, got AC unit cleaned and oil change in both vehicle and generator for a total of $454.  Nice service man found me a new glass microwave tray they had salvaged from a microwave they had replaced.  Microwave door had opened because I had not latched it properly as I drove and glass tray broke, making a serious mess of bits of glass I had to clean up. 
  • CO detector gave out in Ohio later in May, so I had to replace it.  Could not find the right one that screwed into same place so I super-glued it in place.  (I know, I know.) Cost = $54.
  • Also, in Ohio in May, the driver's side slide started not sliding  Found a dealer who charged me only $155 for tracing the wires and replacing a fuse.  Why would they put a fuse under my bed in a compartment shared by my electrical converter and rear furnace???  At least I will know where it is next time. 
  • In July, in Colorado, I had to have the vehicle transmission flushed after it acted up going down a high pass.  Cost = $315.
  • Also in July, but in Oregon, I found a Camping World that would replace my "new" Georgia water pump under warranty, but I had to pay the installation costs.  I have had a total of  six water pumps in five years, but have never been able to determine why so many quit working in my motorhome.  Also, was still having an odor problem from the area behind the sink, so got them to reset the new toilet I had had installed in Florida.  Cost for labor was $260.  Are you getting dizzy yet?  I can assure you I am really tired of maintenance costs and waiting in dealerships. 
  • Even though the Colorado Ford dealer who flushed my transmission told me my brakes were fine, they failed in northern California, so I spent two days in a tire place to get all four wheels done.  Cost was $1,960.  Yikes! 
  • September was a good month, except my brakes squealed a lot.  So, in October, got a brake place in Fresno, CA, to check them out.  Cost for checking them and new wiper blades was $235.
  • In December, my driver's side slide started making noise, so I discovered a roller had broken off.  Called manufacturer's customer service people and tried to find a dealer that would fix it.  I learned this required taking off entire slide, which is a major task and required a forklift and someone who knows Fleetwood products. Tried several Fleetwood dealers in California and Nevada where I am going to be in January, but had trouble getting an appointment and someone who would try to fix it by tilting slide, which manufacturer said might work and would be a lot cheaper.  Took motorhome to Camping World in Bakersfield.  Rented a car and had to spent the night in a hotel.  Problem was they did not have a replacement roller, so bent the old one back into shape and would not warranty the fix.  I was OK with this because I could not wait for a part and am hoping it would last a while.  Cost of repair was $1,200, plus $220 for hotel and car rental!!!
  • Brakes still squealing and pulling to right, and in Death Valley, the front end of my vehicle started vibrating and hopping going down a mountain.  Ended up getting them checked back in Fairfield, except they said problem was my front tires which were cupped so they rotated them.  No cost, but brakes still pull to right. 
Anyway, this is my sad story for repairs this year.  I am hoping 2018 will be a lot better!!  I am spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in a gorgeous state park and then flying out to visit more family on Tuesday.  So far, slide is still working, but second water pump is acting up, as is usual, so I am hoping things last for a new months.   

2 comments:

  1. Hope 2018 is more repair free for you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back and read some of your blogging from July 2012 - you've come a long way.
    Hope next year is a better year for you and your rig maintenance wise. I once read that driving a motorhome is like having your stick and brick house in a constant 4.2 earthquake. So I guess they hold up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete