Friday, April 23, 2021

4/17 - Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Albuquerque, NM

 I have been here before, but it is always nice to come back and see what is new.  Had a little trouble getting parked, or rather getting into the parking lot.  As I turned into it, I noticed a bunch of medical people offering COVID shots, except they had also put a bunch of barriers and red cones to direct traffic.  Security guard came up to me in my big motorhome and was upset because i was lined up for a shot.  I told him I just wanted to get into or even out of the parking lot, and there was no other place to go other than the line for shots.  Anyway, he moved a few cones and guided me to a far corner, which is where I had wanted to go in the first place!!  

I should have taken photos of the COVID line, but I figured I was unpopular enough!  Walked around the building and found the entrance.

Basically, the museum is a semicircle around an outdoor activity area.  Nothing going on today, however.

Lots of interesting displays inside.


These were cute.  I especially liked the duck in the middle.  It was actually a water jug with a hole in its head.

This is a turtle curled up on its back. 

And an owl with babies on its wings.


This jug was amazing.  It was part of a display of pottery painted with yucca twigs.  Look at the amazing detail and accuracy of the lines!

Some types of pueblos.

This next section is fun.  One of the common figures you see all over the Southwest is a storyteller, with children crawling on her.  (Usually, it is a female, but not always.)  I had a very small one I purchased, but would love to have one of these more creative ones!!  This first one is an ordinary storyteller.  Note that the mouths of the storyteller are always open.

This is a turtle storyteller with children on its back. 


The children listening to this storyteller are comfortably lying on the floor.   Even the dog is listening.

This frog storyteller has a lot of babies listening to its stories!!

Another human storyteller, but this one is loaded with kids.  One on her foot is even playing a drum.

I love this owl storyteller with her two babies on her wings!

And even a snake can be a storyteller!!

Beautiful weather outside, so time to go home.

I like this mural of drummers. 

 Luckily, the parking lot was clear and the COVID vaccine people had left by the time I left the museum.


2 comments:

  1. I love the story tellers. Looked for years for a Santa one. Finally got it in Taos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a Santa storyteller! I got my small one at Grand Canyon.

      Delete