Tuesday, August 25, 2020

8/24 Two COE Campgrounds - Hood & Charbonneau

These two Corps of Engineers campgrounds are both close to the confluence of the Snake River and the Columbia River.  Lewis and Clark came through this area on their trip to find the Pacific Ocean.

I am here because I got cancelled from LePage and Plymouth Parks, both COE campgrounds.  As I have mentioned before, wherever the COE built dams or managed rivers, they build and manage recreation areas, and I don't think I have ever found a bad one.  Big advantage is that because they are federal facilities, they are half-price if you have a senior pass.  All have at least electric, and most have paved campsites and even water hookups, and both are in Washington State.  They are also well taken care of, so I stay at them when I can.  I have been hanging around this area until I can start heading south to my October destinations of Zion and Grand Canyon.

Both parks have large trees and decent Verizon service so I can get internet access.  They also each have a few sites where I can also get satellite TV.  You can see in this photo that my site is shaded by 4:00 pm.  


Just some photos of the campground.




On one side of the campground is the Snake River.

On the other side, but in the distance, you can see the Columbia river and Oregon.  

I spent one day in Charbonneau Park, which is about ten miles away along the Snake.

The dam in the distance has made a large lake here, so lots of boaters. 

And a small harbor.


Turtle on a log.


Heading back to Hood Park, with the Columbia River and Oregon in the distance. 

They grow a lot of grapes in this region.  

And apples.

Nice view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment