Thursday, September 21, 2023

9/17 Plane Ride With New Pilot Son

My younger son has been working on getting his private pilots license for several months.  He finally can now take people up with him without an instructor, so I was happy to go with him this day while he got some flying time in.  

It took quite a while for him to get the plane set up and manually pulled out of the hanger.

 
He flies out of a small, county airport.  Lots of clouds on this day, so he could fly, but we would not be able to go very high. That was fine with me. 

 
 A lot of instruments, even in this older, very small plane, so a lot of points on his checklist he had to go through. 

 
More checking items on the checklist, and we could taxi to the runway.  

 
And we're off!!


 
We headed to a nearby airport, so he could land and then take off again and return to the home airport, which was part of his requirements to put in hours each month.   I am short, so could only see out of the side window, but I enjoyed looking into people's back yards.  Next time, I will bring a booster seat!!

 
One of the lakes I have camped at in the past. 


 
Landed at the distant airport.  we taxied off the runway, but then took off fairly quickly.   The paper on the dash was my son's flight plan.  
 


 
Checking out another campground.

 
Lining up to land at the home airport.  
 


 
Almost down!

 
Then, of course, son had to push the plane back into the hanger, complete his paperwork, and clean the plane up so it would be ready for the next person to use it. 

 
My son who lives in Ohio is learning to fly for fun.  However, my 18-year-old grandson in California is also working on his private pilot's license because he wants to be a professional pilot.  He is a few months behind his uncle, but maybe someday, I can ride with him.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment