Wednesday, August 23, 2023

8/19 Fifty Point Conservation Area, Hamilton, Ontario

I am in Ontario now, looking for homesteads where my great and great-great-grandparents lived and the cemeteries where they were buried.  I started out in this area where my maternal grandmother was born and spent her childhood.  Both sets of her grandparents came to this area in the mid-1800s from England and Scotland and settled near one another in Haldimand County, just west of Hamilton.

I knew from past trips to Ontario that Campgrounds here were similar to U.S. campgrounds, other than they have many more campers who leave their RVs in the same campground "seasonally."  This means they pay a flat rate for the entire summer season and can often leave their rigs here when the campground closes for the winter.  It is a good deal financially, though I think I would be bored staying at the same place each year.  

This place, Fifty Point Conservation Area, is better than a lot of campgrounds because it is directly on Lake Ontario and has a marina where people can also leave their boats.  However, it also attracts a lot of day visitors, actually a LOT of day users!  The campground is situated away from the noise and traffic of the people coming here for the day to swim and picnic, luckily.  It also has full hookups, though spaces are gravel and grass instead of pavement.  

I spent five nights here, and went out exploring the area only a couple of times.  Here are a couple of photos of the campground. 


 

It was cold and windy most of the time I was here, but on the fourth day, I decided to walk down to the lake to see the beach.  Good thing I did not try to drive it because it was packed with large family groups.  Luckily, traffic to the beach bypasses the campground, so the road from it to the beach is peaceful with little traffic. 

It turned out to be quite a hike, but I finally got to the beach, which is on the far west end of Lake Ontario, but on the southern shore.  It was Saturday, so lots of boats and people.





And a very busy beach!!  Water was crystal clear and looked clean, though I think it was chilly.





No comments:

Post a Comment