Friday, January 20, 2023

1/16 California to Organ Pipe Cactus Ntl Monument

 I stayed in the Bay Area visiting family and waiting for parts for my motorhome.  It needed a front end alignment, new tie rod ends, and some heavier duty shocks.  They finally came in, and I paid the bill, then headed out of rainy California for sunnier Arizona.  It took me four days of fairly leisurely driving, but I made it.  Here are some of the photos I took on the way.

Still a lot of clouds and wet fields as I headed south, but at least California is turning green:

 

 

However, I stopped in Tehachapi on the second day in order to stock up on things from my favorite bakery there.  Tehachapi is a medium-sized town at the top of Tehachapi Pass, so you have to do some climbing, but you get a good view of the railroad as you go.  You cannot stop on the freeway to view it, but just before the town is the famous Tehachapi Loop, which is where the trains go around a big loop and then go past themselves through a tunnel.  It was built a long time ago as a way for trains to make a steep climb. 

A lot of people drive past this town but do not stop, so they miss a fantastic little German bakery in the middle of the old town, and they also miss the campground that is next to the glider airport just southeast of the main part of town.  I often stay there, but on this trip, I wanted to get out of the clouds and into Arizona sun, so I just stopped for the goodies. 

At the top of the pass and for quite a while into Mojave, CA, we were driving just under the clouds!   There were puddles from the previous day's rain, but the road was dry and clear.  Not much traffic, either.



Mostly dull driving until I got to Arizona.  This view is looking east towards Lake Mohave, AZ, and the Colorado River.  Unfortunately, I did not have quite enough gas to make it to Parker, so I had to stop on the California side of the river and pay $5.89 per gallon.  I put in only enough to get me to Parker, where it was a LOT cheaper--like $3.69 per gallon. 

On my fourth day of driving, I headed south to Organ Pipe and remembered this big copper mine from the last time I visited here. 



The following couple of photos were taken inside the national monument, so notice how much greener it was and how much more vegetation there was. 


Next, will be some photos of the campground and the beautiful surrounding desert! 


No comments:

Post a Comment