Wednesday, June 30, 2021

6/17 Drive from Nebraska to Indiana

 I've been very lazy, but it has been a lot of driving across country.  I left Denver on June 17 and arrived in Indiana at the REV Group/Fleetwood RV customer service center in Decatur on June 27.  (More about that later.)

Anyway, I did not take very many photos on my trip east because mostly I was just trying to get to my destination on time without much sightseeing.  Anyway, here are a few photos of my adventures on the way. 

If you have driven through Nebraska, you know that one end of Nebraska looks a lot like the other end of Nebraska.  (Texas has that problem as well, and both are very wide states.)  Here is mostly what Nebraska looks like:


At one point, I pulled into a Walmart to pick up some groceries and discovered that shoppers with RVs were supposed to park in the dirt lot next door, which really irritated me.  First, the regular main parking lot was too small, and second, the dirt lot I was supposed to park in was full of chuck holes and very dusty.  I complained to the store manager that I was buying as many groceries as his customers who owned cars, but all he said was that if RV parked in the paved lot, there would be no room for cars!!!  

When I went out to leave, I saw that this big and very expensive Class A motorhome pulling a large cargo trailer had gotten stuck in one of the holes.  The back end of the motorhome and the front of the trailer were hung up and the wheels of the motorhome could not drag them out.  A big danger is that there is a lot of stuff like water tanks underneath a motorhome that could be easily damaged.

The driver and his family had a shovel and were trying to put dirt and anything they could find to fill up the hole so they could drive their wheels on it and get out. Finally, they spun their tires enough that they were able to back up a little.  I did not stay around to see them completely get out, but I would have been in the store afterwards yelling and screaming at the manager! 


One of the nicer campgrounds I stayed at was Prairie Flower in Iowa.  It was a Corps of Engineers campground, and I have not yet found a bad one!  They are always very well maintained and have paved roads and campsites, so are very clean and nice.

Another nice campsite was Clark's Ferry near Davenport, IA.  What was nice about this one was that it was on the Mississippi River.  It was rainy and really hot, however, so I did not go outside much.


The last campground before Decatur was Potato Creek State Park in Indiana.  It was hard, by the way, to get used to all the greenery east of the Mississippi.  And in this case, I arrived during a really strong thunderstorm that had knocked down a lot of  branches and even whole trees.  I had to wait until they camp hosts and ranger were able to clear the road.  So much rain after so much drought in the west!!



Finally, the road is clear!

When I made my reservation here, I had checked to make sure the roads were paved, and I even reserved a paved handicapped site, just in case.  Considering the rain, that was a really good decision.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment