Monday, January 4, 2021

1/2 Tehachapi, CA, & a Snowy Day

 Tehachapi, CA, is one of my favorite places for several reasons.  

First, it is on a 4,000' high pass that crosses the Tehachapi Mountains in Southern California.  Highway 58 goes across the pass and connects the San Joaquin Valley and the Mojave Desert, and is a main route from most of California and Las Vegas.  Because it is on a pass, it also has different weather from most of Southern California--mainly a lot of wind!  And that wind is the main reason it has a busy glider airport and an RV park along the runway with a terrific view of the gliders taking off.  

Second, the town of Tehachapi has a terrific German bakery and just enough big box stores to keep people happy--Home Depot, Albertson's grocery store, Walmart, CVS and Walgreen pharmacies, Tractor Supply, and several gas stations.  It also has several fast food places, small shops, and whatever else a person could need.  I'm also told it has a great barbecue place, but I have not tried that yet.  There is also a small railroad museum and the famous Tehachapi Loop, which is a railroad loop where a long train can go around itself.  

The drive up to Tehachapi is very pleasant:



Anyway, it is a handy place to stay on the way to Las Vegas and Arizona, so I planned on spending just one night here.  Unfortunately, I could feel the shaking of strong winds during the night, and I woke up to this in the morning. 

Motorhomes that weigh 14,500 lbs and snow do not mix, especially when combined with strong winds.  I am used to driving a car in snow, but not my motorhome, which could slide off the road with not only me in it, but most of my worldly belongings.  And I will NOT put chains on any vehicle I drive.  If the state requires chains, I will stay put. 

Yup, definitely staying put weather.  Called the office and arranged to stay another night.  I knew no more snow or rain was expected and the temps would be warmer tomorrow.  Besides, I had not gotten my winter coat out from where it is stored in a suitcase in an underneath storage bin.  Too cold to do that now, so I layered in two sweatshirts and a windbreaker to take the trash out! 

These photos are taken from the windows.  You don't think I actually went outdoors, do you?

View of my covered bike from the back window.  I had been worried the cover might have blown off, but it looked OK. 

Much better the next day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment