Wednesday, February 5, 2020

2/5 Ortona Lock & Dam Campground

Wherever the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers builds a dam or lock, they also build a campground.  There are two campgrounds west of Lake Okeechoobee and one east of the lake.   I will be in all three this winter, but for now I am in the middle one--Ortona South Lake and Dam.

This is the view of my motorhome towards the dam and the lock beyond it.

Boats have to wait until they get permission to move closer to the  lock. 

So, off I go, over the dam and towards the lock in the distance. 





A couple of people on jet skiis are waiting in the lock for the water to rise. 

And away they go!

Now the big boats can come in.  There are four identical catamarans and two sailboats.  




Heading down!

And they wait for the gates to open.


My motorhome on the other side of the river.

A bit crowded but well taken care of and some greenery that provides some privacy.


My camping site, and more boats lined up behind me.



No comments:

Post a Comment