Sunday, April 30, 2023

4/25 Zion to Abiquiu Lake, NM

This posting includes some of the photos I took on my way out of Zion through the east entrance and tunnel, and also some photos driving through New Mexico on my way to Abiquiu Lake. 

In reality, I took three days to get to Abiquiu with overnight stops in Page, AZ, (mostly to do laundry) and in Farmington, NM.  I've taken photos in both of those places and frankly, since there were not very many decent campground in or near Farmington, I ended up staying in the county fairgrounds.  Most county campgrounds are pretty basic, but I figured why pay $50 for a crummy commercial campground with lots of permanent residents when I could pay $30 for a county facility that had good security.  I had been here before, and found it OK. 

Last time, there were a few other campers, but this time I had about 80 campsites to choose from and no neighbors at all!  Sites had water and electric hookups, and I was within sight of the guard booth, so what else did I need?  Quiet night, at least.  (Note: The pickup truck in the distance was the last of the county workers who had been working on some of the campground water hookups.)

 
The next morning, I stopped at Target to pick up a few groceries and Penney's to get a much-needed haircut.  Other than a gas station/convenience store, there is nothing near Lake Abiquiu for about 40 miles, so I am making sure I have everything I need for a couple of weeks or more.  The convenience store looks a little better than most, but I don't want to pay high prices when I can get what I will need in a larger town.  
 
One nice thing on my drive, however, is that gas prices dropped from about $491 per gallon to $3.79 a gallon once I got into New Mexico!   
 
Anyway, the drive out of Zion is just as scenic as the drive in way, except I did not take as many photos.  This is the road just before the east exit. 

The east exit and the tunnel are at the end of this canyon.

There are at least five or six switchbacks to gain enough elevation to enter the tunnel, but I stopped at one of the lower ones to take photos and ended up chatting with a couple from Portugal/Brazil, and California.  In other words, they had lived in each of these in the order listed, but were now living back in Brazil and in the U.S. for a three-month trip. 



Headed up.  Note the lack of barriers to keep you from driving over the edge.  I think the low stone wall might warn you on your way over, however, so it might be a bit useful.


Almost there.


And of course, you will find a line coming in or going out of the tunnel.  This line is headed west into the park and is waiting for opposite-way traffic to get out of the tunnel so they can go in.  There is no doubt at least one big motorhome leading the line coming out and going through. 

Obviously, this whole area was lake bed and/or beach and sand dune at one time.  Note the interesting textures caused by the sand patterns. 

These formations look like they may have been made by puddles, maybe????

Leaving the park.  Line was at least a mile long. Lesson learned is to get into the park as early in the morning or as late in the afternoon as you can. 

I stopped in Page to do laundry and spend the night, so I think the rest of these photos were taken in New Mexico.  I absolutely LOVE the empty roads!!!  Many times, I can come to almost a full stop to take a photo.   Otherwise, it is point and shoot and hope for one good photo out of two or three.




This is Shiprock in New Mexico.  You can see it a long way in the distance because there are few big rocks or mountains around it.


Last long and empty road for today!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment